The use of lime (calcium hydroxide) as a constructive conglomerate is as old as the origin of Mediterranean civilization, probably the temporal correlation is: Sumerians, Phoenicians, Cretans, Greeks, Romans, even in the Bible we find passages with “ordinances” of “heat” the walls, but no other cultures were alien to the use of it as India or China.
One of the most widely used forms of lime use geographically is in the form of paint; water with lime paste aged at least six months and diluted with water, but also in the form of “temples” that comes from the Latin “temperae” (mix). These mixtures of water with lime and additives give it certain properties; with vegetable tails to improve workability, with casein to increase its workability, with oils to improve its impermeability.
Therefore, PATINA LIME is a temper . We made this brief explanation, since we also present a TRADITIONAL CAL Paint, without addictions.
These paintings were also used, not only looking for decorative factors, but also protective due to their aseptic properties were painted the trunks of fruit trees or stables.
The Mediterranean peoples sought smooth finishes in the use of this material to reflect the light-heat, allowing the walls to breathe while maintaining the interior temperatures in optimal conditions, “botijo effect”.
Apart from their traditional finishes, they can also present contemporary effects due to their mineral appearance and relative lack of technical complication.
Bear in mind, that in a certain amount of high finishes and unlike decorative plasters, were applied by non-professional labor, especially in rural environments, giving rise to numerous application techniques and finishes, depending on the geography – geology, types of pigments, tool and idiosyncrasy in ornamentation.
The embellishment of walls and ceilings of commercial premises, private homes, offices … The PAINTING / SKATING TO THE LIME , is 93% inorganic, therefore, we can speak of a continuous mineral coating , with positive characteristics such as vapor breathability of water , be antistatic , present allergenic levels close to zero, fireproof and magnificent aging in not very aggressive environments such as homes, clothing stores, offices, especially if you have applied some of our protective systems, according to own casuistry and protection to reduce absorption. It also presents good adhesion and deformability .
PATINA LIME is for indoor and outdoor use. In this last case we will use to dye the 14 Dyes / Toners of the MARMORINO ROMANO MEDIA Color Chart.
PH: 11 (more / less 0.5)
DENSITY: 1.25 (more / less 0.05 g / cm3)
PRESENTATION VISCOSITY: Thixotropic paste (always stir before applying to homogenize the product with a blender).
CONTENT IN SOLIDS: 72 %
PACKAGING: 5-10 kg (standard)
LIFE IN CONTAINER: Approximately 16 months in stable environmental conditions (+5 ºC (min) and +32 ºC (max)) without opening the can. Preserve of frost and high temperatures.
COLOR: 20 colors obtained from the corresponding TINTERS-TONERS of your Color Chart and the VENETIAN TO CAL chart, added to the neutral stucco (that is, as it is presented on the package). You can also use the 14 MARMORINO ROMANO MEDIO.
Manufacture of special colors from 300 kg.
For special colors, calculate the material yield well (kg / m2) so that you do not have to find two different batches on the wall, where there may be small differences in intensity and hue. If it occurs, it is better to look for a clear cut where to start with the other batch and / or mix the first (do not exhaust totally) with the second.
DILUENT: Water (if water is added, use the same dilution in all containers).
MAXIMUM THICKNESS PER LAYER: 0.1 mm.
DRYING: 24 h (20 ºC to 65% relative humidity) for total drying.
Progressive hardening, at 30 days presents the total hardening.
PREVIOUS PREPARATIONS: The supports must be dry (the calculation for plasters and stuccos is 1 day of drying / mm of thickness at 20 ºC and 65% of relative humidity) and clean of any impurity such as mold, algae, lichens, environmental contamination (fats) , soot, etc) and salts. Also, how to properly consolidate uncooked supports (sandstones, dusty, degraded).
APPLICATION TOOLS: Brush or whitewash brush, flat for some techniques such as “semi-ironing”, gun.
PROTECTIONS OF THE PAINT / SKATE TO THE LIME: Before certain locations or to avoid “bleeds” of color or to avoid that the dirt / contaminating elements penetrate: in exteriors, bathrooms, zones of passage, etc … it is necessary to apply some of our protective systems that we describe below:
- Protector of stuccos and mineral supports
- Siloxanic protection for mineral substrates 1/5
INTERVAL BETWEEN LAYERS: 14 h (20 ªC to 65% relative humidity).
CONDITIONS OF APPLICATION:
- If the support is slightly sand-decayed; dead plasters, plastic or tempera paints, … apply previously PRIMER (consolidating) ULTRAFINA.
- If the support presents cracks / cracks, observe if they are alive or stable to proceed with the proper treatment such as: special elastic fillers or the reinforcement of the stucco. If it is observed that the cracks / fissures are unstable or alive derived from structural problems, disregard this finish, disregard this finish. PAINT / SKATING TO THE LIME. Observe also the singular points of the building that correspond to areas where tensions arising from the work accumulate, and that can cause the appearance of fissures in the coating, such as: structural joints of expansion, union between different materials (bricks and concrete, forged, pillars, lintels, window frames seats, blind boxes, …). It can be partially prevented that the covering can be opened at these points, by placing a fiberglass veil attached to the support.
- On plasterboard and plasterboard, plaster, plasters projected carefully clean the powder and generously apply one or two coats of QUARTZ PRIMER diluted with 5-8% water (if any degradation of these supports is observed, apply before PRINTING AT QUARTZ the PRIMER (consolidating) ULTRAFINA.
- On post-formed (MD-wood chippings, agglomerates) apply before PRINTING QUARTZ apply MULTIPURPOSE PRIMER, thus avoiding the appearance of redissolution spots of certain compounds that present these materials.
- On painted substrates perform an adhesion and resistance test before applying the QUARTZ PRIMER and then the PAINT / SKIN TO THE LIME, since the moisture of this material can detach the paint from the support if it is badly adhered.
- On ceramic supports in interiors and that are well adhered to the support the PAINT / SKATE CAN BE applied to the CAL with the previous application of a plastering of UNIVERSAL MASILLA later the rest of the system.
- It is also possible to use the bottom layer of the BACKGROUND PRIMARY GLAZES, especially in the case described in the previous point.
- Avoid application on horizontal surfaces or inclined planes.
WORKING TEMPERATURE of both the environment and the support (exterior-interior): Minimum 7 ºC and maximum 32 ºC.
- In cases of painting bathrooms have to have good ventilation for rapid drying of the wall and avoid the rapid proliferation of lichens and molds.
- Observe carefully plaster plasters, because sometimes small fissures from the wall are not detected and then manifest in the PAINTING / SKATING TO THE CAL hard by nature.
- Before placing self-adhesive stencils for decorative motifs or other types of masking, wait for the stucco to harden for 48 hours.
- If the support presents manifest pathologies (humidity of capillary lift, humidity by condensation, moisture by filtration, movement of the support, etc …) do not apply this stucco but have been solved or has proceeded with the proper treatment to solve such damage.
Although there are many application methods with very different finishes, the technique used to produce our color chart and another method is described below.
Once the support is well prepared with the above indications we will go to the application:
Finish “whitewashed in arches”.
- Apply a layer of the material in “arches” with the special Coloris brush / brush for whitewashing. Let dry 18-24h. at 20 ° C and 65% relative humidity.
- Apply a second layer with the same technique as the 1st, in “arches” but it is spreading with energy, that is to say with the brush / brush scrubbing the surface. A greater or lesser rub will appear more or less “waters” (light / dark effects)
Finish “worn effect”.
- Apply two layers of the coating in “arches” with the special Coloris brush / brush for whitewashing. With an interval between layers of 14-18h. at 20ºC and 65% relative humidity. The last of the two let dry 24h. before proceeding with point 2).
- Extending energetically, in order to leave as little layer as possible, a third layer of paint with a color that contrasts with the previous one, also in arcs. Allow to dry from 14 a.m. to 6 p.m. in the same environmental conditions
- Wet with water, with the help of a vaporizer approx. 0,5m² and then with a scouring pad or our Coloris sponge “double use”, we will perform a rubbing with the aim of abrading by areas, this last layer. If you want to increase the effect, you can clean those areas that are wearing out, with a smooth spon
Tips for use:
- In case of large plans, the appropriate equipment (group of people) will have to be made to carry out the work without joints. Carry out exploded if necessary to avoid them.
- If you start a wall do not interrupt the section to avoid splices..
- If for any reason you have to interrupt the work on a wall, try to leave a line as irregular as possible, this observation is valid for most decorative techniques.
- According to the applicator, being an artisanal process, the final “drawing” can vary, from one workforce to another.
- Before the placement of self-adhesive stencils for the realization of decorative motifs or other types of masking, wait until the paint has hardened 48 hours.
0.4-0.7 kg in 3 layers in conditions of perfect planimetry and smooth surface.
Water, and in case the dry material remains in the tool use a sandpaper.
HARDNESS: 76 Shore C Units after 30 days.
RESISTANCE TO FLEXOTRACTION (UNE-EN 196-1: 1996):
- 2 N / mm2 to 1 day.
- 8 N / mm2 to 7 days.
- 12 N / mm2 at 28 days.
RESISTANCE TO COMPRESSION (UNE-EN 196-1: 1996):
- 1.5 N / mm2 to 1 day.
- 3 N / mm2 to 7 days.
- 4.5 N / mm2 at 28 days.
ADHESION: 6 kg / cm2
RESISTANCE TO ABRASION: good, it improves remarkably with the protective systems proposed.
PERMEABILITY TO WATER VAPOR : Sd = 0.05 m (KNUDSEN)
REFRACTION TO THE LIGHT IN WHITE COLOR: 68%.
LAVABILITY: excellent after 28 days, with the application of our protective systems.
PRECAUTIONS: Due to its alkalinity, preserve splashes of skin and eyes.